Monday, February 2, 2009

Coolness? Fade To Black


It appears to this writer that my status and days as the "Cool Dad" are numbered and dwindling, much like the follicles of my life. Like many of you I have tried to maintain a close relationship with my kids, but I've always tried to do things that moved us beyond the father son/daughter thing. This has been increasingly difficult. The harsh reality is that the once regarded funny guy that the kids lived with is now corny, goofy and quite embarrassing. Qualities Deb has endured for quite some time. I just don't think they get the complexities of my sophisticated comical stylings. "Pull my finger."




Recently, I took Zachary and a few of his buddies to see a triple bill of The Sword, Machine Head, and Metallica. Now, I'd like to be able to tell you that this altruistic gesture was purely for the benefit and development of Zach and his friends, but the truth is, which Deb was quick to point out, that I wanted to go. Me wanting to go to a concert? Not much of a stretch.


When we hit the road Zach plugged in his iPod and said, "Dad, you don't mind if we play some of our music?" This referring to the music they like, not their own original work. I laughed when the next few selections came on which included Zeppelin, PearlJam, Van Halen and of course, Metallica. I couldn't help myself and turned down the music to ask, "Why do you think this stuff is your music and not mine?" They responded by telling me that the music they hear around the house isn't "Crunchy." My cool dad status immediately soared when I informed them that I had seen everyone of these bands including Led Zeppelin. They asked where I had seen Zeppelin to which I told them that they played at Live Aid in 1985. Cool dad crash! "Whoa! How old are you anyway?" 1985? They made it sound more like 1885.


Once we got to the show I was quickly reminded of what a Metallica crowd looks like. Picture the largest shop class ever assembled. A sea of faded blue jeans and black T shirts. The whole place smelled like stale beer, dope, and B.O. As we walked on, all of us in faded blue jeans and black shirts and hit our seats. You should have seen the looks I got from the boys when I handed out the ear plugs I purchased. "What are these for?" "They're ear plugs. They're for your ears!" "They look like suppositories, dude!" Apparently it's difficult to be cool with fluorescent yellow marshmallows sticking out of your ears. "Hey, it beats hair sticking out." Uh, dad, you've got that too."
Metallica finally came on and played a blistering set. The four silver coffins suspended from the ceiling were a little silly ala' Spinal Tap, but they can still shred. During the song "One", I found myself really getting into it and started a little fist pumping and I actually yelled out. this caught Zach's attention as he peered at me with a look that said, "Take it down a few notched big guy. We don't want you breaking a hip."
The ride home was long and all of the kids were crashed, sprawled out all over the back seat. Finally I had the iPod to myself and played the music of my generation, you know, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, and Otis Redding. I drove home feeling pretty cool. The Fonz of father hood, but I have no doubt Zach will, at least temporarily look at me as "Potsie.'
"Potsie, what the hell is a Postie? How old are you, dude?"


4 comments:

Mott TheHoople said...

I'm confused. What does "crunchy" mean? I always thought that I was crunchy because I rub pajooly oil in my long hair, bathe every other Sunday, listen to John Denver songs, and try to pass off apples as snack food for the children.

Am I not crunchy anymore, and if not, what am I?

Mott TheHoople said...

Of the 56 definitions for Crunchy in the Urban Slang dictionary I think #11 applies here:

The way hard core punkers from the days of yore tune their guitars to sound like... Not to mention loud, too...

"Those hard core punks who are setting up to jam have a really crunchy guitar and drum combo, man..."

Most of the other 55 definitions still apply to me.

Jack Calabrese said...

Mott:

I think the boys refer to Crunchy as in the wall of sound produced by the strats and Marshall's of their non John Denver type music. Crunchy in your world needs to follow the word "earthy." This assuming I actually have Zach's term correct. He may actually use the description "chunky" where depending upon the their usage refers to their preferred style of music or yours and my build.

Dad and Babchi said...

Earthy Crunchy sounds like a healthy breakfast cereal. Saw Led Zepplin in 1969(how's that for ancient) at The Boston Tea Party.