Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reolution - Nine in 09

Alright. Many people make resolutions at the beginning of the year and most don't keep them. I'm not much different but I have been thinking a lot about it and them. I have always liked tag lines and slogans so I figured I would do the same for my resolutions in 2009. I have put a little though into them and I already know I'm overshooting and setting myself up for a shortfall, but what the hell. Here it is for all of you who care is my list of things I'd like to accomplish in the year, the list known as nine in 09

1. Like most people I wouldn't mind getting into better shape. I did a pretty good job last year, but i still have some work to do. My priorities have changed a bit in that previously it was about looking better, not I'm just interested in staying alive. So, resolution number 1 is to lose 9 pounds. We're heading to Myrtle Beach in April so that's little more than than a few pounds each month till we head south. I'd give you the exact number and\or calculation but math isn't on my resolution list this year.

2. I will read 9 books that will help me in my career and or personal life. If you have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears. I'll also read at least 9 books for pure pleasure. Not a big number but twice what I read in 08.

3. Debbie and I have spent the past few years walking through Vaughn Woods in South Berwick Maine, and we've talked about hiking elsewhere. I plan to hit 9 different hiking trails in New England this year. I'm sure Deb will come along for the walk.

4. I will learn 9 new things on the guitar this year. For those whom have heard me play, know that my attention span prohibits me from making any real progress. Yeah, I can play, but only a little of this and a little of that. Jack of all trades and master of none? This is where it is most prevalent. If I had a band it would be called "Medley." The truth of the matter is that if I play a whole song, I'm obligated to sing, and nobody wants that...

5. I'll spend 9 days with each of the family one on one. I know this doesn't sound like a lot when you consider there's 365 days in a year, but with two teenagers it's hard to get them to say hello, never mind spend any real quality time together. The travel doesn't help either. Let's face it, these days are numbered, and I have to keep working on my "cool dad" status.

6. I'll average 9 miles a week. This may be walking, swimming, running or biking. Does driving count? The point is, I'd like to keep in motion and keep my jeans from being an ocean... I've bren swimming more lately, but it's not coming easy and it's not pretty. It's more of a controlled drowning.

7. I'll do 9 things outside of my normal work responsibilities to help people that I work with be more successful.

8. I'll try not to see U2 more than 9 times this year (kidding.) Actually I'll do 9 things around the house to improve it. This will be outside the normal maintenance. I'm talking painting, plastering, or some other thing I hate doing...Actually maybe I'll just hire 9 guys to do this crap for me.

9. I'll put time into these 9 things:
  • Become more technically proficient with my camera
  • Draw, sketch, or paint something and anything
  • Working on a craft with my kids or the kids in the neighborhood (I'm thinking of a paper mache dragon for our block party...)
  • Volunteering time for a local charity or community event
  • Avoiding television. Chess, cribbage, back gammon may be suitable alternatives
  • Finding 9 good new bands. these days it's harder than it appears to be.
  • Keeping up with my blog
  • Visiting my brothers and getting to know their families better
  • Reading the newspaper and being more informed globally, nationally and locally.
i know it's a big list, but what the hell else have I got to do... I figure if I cover half of the list, i'll be doing great.

6 comments:

Dad and Babchi said...

Straight from the white albumn, number 9,number 9, number 9, you'll need to work hard on resolution #1 especially with courses at Villa Romna.Let's see polenta,bruschetta,pasta&beans,straccatelli,salad,vino,your dinner,desert,and limoncello.Gee that's nine!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Papa for making me hungry..I want polenta now.

Sounds like some good resolutions to me...so when we coming over?

Anonymous said...

What? You don't want to travel/visit 9 new places in 2009?? :) Awesome list! Good luck! ~ Karrie

Anonymous said...

What, no space on the list for "discover cancer cure"?!? Oh, well... maybe next year!

Mott TheHoople said...

Yo Jack, great list!! Keep following this formula and by 2015 you'll be so busy working on resolutions we'll never see you at the Barley Pub.

I highly recommend a book called Bonjour Laziness: Jumping off the Corporate Ladder. It's a guide to doing as little work as possible while you're at work. Not that you need a lot of help in that department. You took 10 days of vacation and didn't post a single blog and then your first day back in the office you put up a 1200 word essay. Nice. You should still read the book, though. It's written by a French woman so it will give you some insight into the slackers you'll be working with across the pond...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375423737/writerswrite

Anonymous said...

I hope you can stick to at least the most important ones and something tells me you will. Maybe 9 guys out there somewhere will learn from you this year. I think I'll make a list of my own resolutions...not so long but a list. :)