Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hong Kong


When I was a kid my friend Greg and I would hang out in my parents basement and listen to my father's extensive record collection. We'd listent to all types of music including old rock and roll and soul from artists like, The Impressions and Gladys Knight and the Pips who were both on Buddah Records. Well, sadly, Buddah Records is long gone, but the symbol of that great label remains!!
At the summit of Ngong Ping sits the Tian Ten Buddah, popularly referred to as the, "Big Buddah." It's an impressive thing to see and worth the gondola ride through the mountains, and to be honest I can't believe how many people remember Buddah records. There were people from everywhere!


Seriously, the pictures do not do it justice. It's a very impressive piece, I'd like to say of history, but I was disappointed to find that it was completed way way back in 1993. Notice the right hand of th eBuddah is raised. This is to symbolize the removal of affliction. The many gift shops that sit at the base have vendors who raise their right hands and symbolze the removal of your cash.

1 comment:

Dad and Babchi said...

Hmm Buddha Records home of Yummy I Got Love In My Tummy,and Simon Says.The originators of Bubble Gum Rock.The label that gave us The Brooklyn Bridge,Curtis Mayfield(The Superfly Soundtrack),Melanie,and Sha Na Na.Buddha was also big in the disco era. Kama Sutra was a subsidary label that produced the Luvin Spoonful.