Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Admission of a Fair Weather Fan


I’ve always loved the Red Sox, but to call myself a fan would be slightly disrespectful to the many friends and fellow New Englanders that follow most, if not all of their games. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll watch every game of the World Series and will only miss some of the play if I get a better offer form the lady of the house, and even then I’ll only be gone for a half inning or so. But I feel compelled to admit here and now that I’m a fair weather fan.

 I’ve always been impressed by those folks who avidly follow the Boston sports teams, and I’m awed by friends who possess an encyclopedic knowledge of the current team, former teams and every stat that goes along with them. I can’t claim the same knowledge. Quite frankly I didn’t even know that the Sox had traded away Wes Welker. I suppose my interests lay elsewhere. I mean how many of you reading know the current or original line up of the Moody Blues, or can name any one of the five drummers that have been or are currently in Pearl Jam? I guess everybody has their thing,

So, without shame I’ve admittedly jumped on the band wagon and will be in full attendance tonight. I’ll cheer every time Dustin Pedroia or Freddy Lynn comes up to the plate, and I’ll feel the emotional toil that comes with each controversial call that’s made, (I’m still aching from the Jets game.) I’ll also use the series as an excuse to stay up late, eat poorly and consume beverages that shouldn’t be consumed on a Wednesday evening. I’ve also used the series as an excuse to give up shaving. When my boss questions my borderline homeless look, I’ll simply reply, "I am Red Sox Nation!"        

Good luck, boys!

No comments: