Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sales Is All About Getting People to Like You!

Ever wonder how your kids view you?

I used to train sales people on the many disciplines that are selling skills. During training sessions I used to coach people by providing them with real life situations and giving feedback. I would tell my sales reps that the feedback they received was a gift and would help them improve their skills their opportunities for success and ultimately their wallet or purse. This past Sunday I had the opportunity to assess a sales person and in the process I received candid, honest and direct feedback.

I was enjoying my day of rest by working in the back yard with my favorite nemesis the weed whacker when Deb let me know that we had to pick up Zachary from yet another sleep over. We both jumped in the car and headed off as we were going to grab some vegetable plants for the garden. We were also going to buy a new "old style" porch swing. After grabbing Zach we headed up to the furniture place which was not and would not open until noon. We had some time to kill. Deb suggested we swing back by a car dealership that we passed. There was a car that caught Deb's eye.

We were barely out of our car when the young salesman appeared. He started off with the used car salesspeak without hesitation and without stopping. He gave me the, "If I can make the numbers work for you, can I put you in this beauty today?" He said, "This car is cleaner than a baby's bottom." This guy obviously never had kids.

We took the car for a ride and then we were led into the interrogation area where the battle of wits would ensue. Without going into all of the details, I can tell you that I held my ground and didn't an inch of ground. He threw everything he had at me and resorted to insulting me in front of my wife and son, but ultimately I escaped without a new car and without a new monthly obligation. I wanted so badly to tell him my profession, but I didn't want to embarrass him. I really wanted to say, "look kid, I know what you're doing..." Regardless, I escaped.

A few nights later we were having dinner and when we were finished with the school and work discussion I asked Zachary what he thought of the experience. He said, "You mean the car? It was really nice!" I said, "No. What did you think of the exchange between the salesman and I?" Zach replied, "It was kind of wierd, but I always know when you want to leave or get out of something. You act smart and start making those faces with that goofy smile, and you act like a dick!" The rest of the family erupted with laughter!

2 comments:

Mott TheHoople said...

Zach's a good kid. He didn't accuse you of "being a dick" - just acting "like a dick." He obviously remembers the time when he was four and you told him not to act "like an idiot" and explained to him how that was different from calling him "an idiot." I always wonder how many of these little life lessons our kids actually remember.

Jack Calabrese said...

Mott:

Your comments always make me feel better. Sometimes I feel like a dick, but it's just me rubbing the top of my head.