Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dave Matthews Band Poster Art


It's a well known fact in my neighborhood that I'm a big fan of the Dave Matthews Band. The fact that I like a particular band should prompt no need for words and shouldn't constitute enough interest to warrant a posting, but I have to tell you that it perplexes me to know that almost no one else in the "hood" digs these guys. My good buddy Geoff is convinced that both Dave Matthews music and the night time sleep aid Ambien are created in the same factory. It confuses me because they're absolutely huge and have an enormous following.

This fact was recently demonstrated when the DMB played two sold out shows at Fenway Park. Yes, I attended both nights and was lucky enough to sit in the front row for night two. It wasn't your normal front row seat as somehow I ended up with a "companion ticket" which is intended for those who accompany an impaired individual in the handicapped section. Regardless it was right up front. True, no one around me was up and dancing too much but I don't think it was because of a lack of danceable beats and rhythms.

I'm almost embarrassed to let you all know that aside form the CD's and concerts, I've also shown my support by being an active member of the DMB fan association known as "The Warehouse." Membership has its benefits. I do get to purchase tickets before the general public and there are other amenities that are offered. The Warehouse is an electronic gathering place for the legion of DMB fans who trade tickets, live recordings and stories. To say that people are dedicated is an understatement. they all have DMB influenced vanity license plates, tattoos and children named after their hero.

A recent Message Board thread showed various members Concert Poster collections. The DMB, like many newer bands create interesting and sometimes beautiful silk screened prints that are produced in very limited quantities. They're all hand made (or at least I think they are) and are signed and numbered. All of the pictures of the framed posters appear to be hanging in the basements of these 35 and 40 year old members parent's houses. How cool it must be for them to proudly show them off when they're sneaking a girl in.

For the record, mine are hanging in my office. Men will be men and boys will be boys. What that means, I have no idea, but let's face it. We guys just aren't that bright.

4 comments:

Dad and Babchi said...

Two things that are common in Myrtle Beach No Basements
No Dave Matthews

Mott TheHoople said...

I'm glad you're an "active" member of the Warehouse because the inactive members are real jerks. They're all like - "I'm in the Warehouse you know." - but when you ask them to bring napkins to the chili cook-off or help fake autographs on collectible posters they're suddenly "too busy" Their love for the Dave Matthews Band is so shallow.

Mott TheHoople said...

"trade tickets, live recordings and stories" OK. But what's the CRAZIEST thing you've ever swapped for DMB tickets?

Unknown said...

DMB rule! Seniors rule! There is nothing that gets me on the dance floor like "Crash"... oh no that song is stuck in my head...feeling sleepy....can't continue to...type...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.