Friday, April 26, 2013

Walking on Sunshine


I took a new job. One of ancillary benefits of this career move is that I’m now working literally 2.5 miles from Casa De Calabrese. I joked with my people, boasting that I would start walking to work, but most times when I conveyed this I neglected to mention that I worked in the very same building for five and half years and never walked once, but now I’m actually doing it. As with any of my life experiences I have a few observations to offer.

Of the 5,000 or so people that work in this complex, it appears I’m literally the only one walking.

I believe it is because of this fact that the walkway in the complex is extraordinarily dangerous because no one walks anymore and people aren’t use to looking up from their texts to notice the big bald pedestrian with the coconut shell headphones

Also, no one notices me while I’m standing at the edge of the cross walk waiting for someone to stop. It looks like I’m standing on the edge of the track at the Louden Speedway.

When people do notice me, they give me a double look with the expression of “Shoulda called a cab DUI GUY!”

Speaking of DUI, it was trash day here in Dover and as I walked along I noticed that almost every recycle bin was loaded with empty beer, wine and liquor bottles. I never realized how popular peppermint schnapps was up here. Also, as turned the corner to what is the longest stretch of my walk, a trash truck pulled up just ahead of me and I had the luxury of following its rancid smell for a good mile. When I made it into work, I had to douse myself with extra Hai Karate so I wouldn’t smell like Haymarket in July.  

If you happen to be driving through Dover and you see me walking along and singing, don’t stop to offer me and Hall & Oates a ride. We’re really doing this intentionally.

No comments: