Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Morning Bed In

We stayed up later than usual this Christmas Eve. Deb and I finally decided to turn in around 2:30 am, but we didn't stress because our kids, now 17 and 16 would not be up at the crack of dawn begging us to go downstairs to see what Santa had left. Those days are over.

I clearly remember long past Christmas Eves where Deb and I, like many other parents would be up until the weary hours of the night, wrapping, and assembling the kids booty. My most favorite and equally horrifying memory is that of opening a Fischer Price remote control car and track we had bought for Zach. I was relieved and elated when I opened the huge four foot long box to find that there were only a small number of pieces to assemble. My happiness turned into horror when the four foot long sheet of stickers slipped out of the box. Every flag, every wheel cover, and even the white lines on the road had to be affixed with the corresponding sticker. It was like some evil half assed sobriety check, but I digress.

Our kids now would more likely have to be woken up around 10:00 or even later, so we slept soundly with no need to arise and no need to travel. It was Vanessa who stood over our kig size bed at 7:20. Not too early, but I was certainly not ready to step out. I asked her to wake Zach and have him come in to our bedroom. Zach came in and joined Vanessa, Deb, myself, not to mention dogs Bean and George.

The six of us laid in the king size bed under the covers and talked. No television, no phone, no texts and no distractions were present as the four of us shared stories of Christmas days' past. We smiled, giggled and laughed for the next 40 minutes or so, then we sprang into Christmas action. There were presents to open and a house to prepare for the throngs of friends and neighbors that would share our day, and a great day it was, but it couldn't and wouldn't equal those first minutes where we hung out together under the covers.

It was an unplanned magical little moment that has earned a place in the Calabrese Christmas Memory Hall of Fame and I think it was the coolest thing ever.


No comments: