Sunday, March 14, 2010

I Take a Shot at the Electrical Field

I've been writing different memories throughout the month of March for Jack History Month. My friend Timmy reminded me of this story. Not sure if it's one of those, you had to be there stories, but it entertains the Hell out of me.

I was hanging out with friends in front of the Pizza Center in my hometown of Winthrop Mass. contemplating the evening’s entertainment when I was asked by by Michael “Tiny” Christopher if I had any interest in making a little money working for a company called Ideal Electric. I told Tiny that I had not a clue about anything electric beyond wiring speakers or plugging in my hairdryer, (neither of which I do anymore.) I had concerns that I'd kill either myself, a co worker or some unsuspecting family by incorrectly wiring something. But with no other serious prospects, I agreed.

Tiny told me to report to the shop on Bates avenues no later than 7:00 the next morning. Now, a smarter man would have gone home to rest and prepare, but this was not to be the case as I stayed out for the better part of the evening and just a tad bit of the early morning doing whatever it was we did back then.

The next morning, I awoke, showered and groggily stumbled to Bates Ave. When I arrived at Ideal, I was relieved to see my best friend Johnny Gillis, his brother's, Owen and Jimmy as well as Bobby I. and a guy appropriately named, "Nick the Prick." Bobby I turned to me and said, "Are you Jack?" Then he looked me over and asked, "Is that what you're going to wear today? You know you're going to get dirty on this job. " Then he said, Okay, whatever, here's your first job. I have an "effin" squirrel that is living in my attic. See that hole up by the roof? We're going to flush him out, when he comes through that hole, you shoot the f*cker!" Then he dropped a nickel plated .38 caliber pistol in my hand. Needless to say, this was not the new experience I expected, but like I said, I had no other serious prospects and at least I couldn't electrocute or hurt myself.

So there I am on my first day of the job with high hopes of learning to use new cool and visions of wearing one of those cool tool belts and the potential of a new career, but instead I'm standing in a driveway pointing a gun at a house. To make matters worse, kids began to walk by on their way to school many of them staring in disbelief at my appearance. To a few of them I smiled and said, "It's okay, I'm an electrician."

Just then I saw something stir in the opening. I nervously cocked the hammer, raised the weapon and aimed, but I immediately halted when I realized it was not Rocket Jay Squirrel, but Owen Gillis' furry head popping out while yelling, "Don't Shoot, don't shoot!" I thought about popping off one round in the air, just to see his reaction, but I didn't think anyone aside form myself would be amused. Fortunately, the furry rodent, The Ideal crew were better at wiring than hunting, and I didn't get to prove myself during this unintentional hazing ritual or bizarre initiation. There were a lot of people back then that liked to play Mafia wise guy, including Bobby I. too bad for me that I didn't get to prove myself on my first "hit." I would have to do it with my work ethic (it was nil back then.)

You know, as time goes by, the details of old memories begin to fade and the specifics are lost or embellished. I ran into Johnny Gillis at our 25th high school reunion and after a few drinks and a bunch of stories, he asked, "Remember your first day at Ideal Electric?" Then he told the story to Deb and I from his perspective. I was tickled to know that it had actually happened the way I remembered.

As for my career as an electrician, it never materialized. I didn't have the knack for handy work so I was relegated to bull work with "Nick the Prick" partly because he liked me but it probably had more to do with the fact that no one else could stand him. Occasionally, Bobby I. would pull me to work with him, but most of the time we would just cruise the beach where I would point out different the women that I knew and that he wanted to meet. I've heard that he has found religion and knowing him back then, I can tell you that he needed it. I think my staying power at Ideal was largely attributed to my ability to keep them entertained.

So that's what happened on this or some other day in Jack History Month, March 14th 1984. If you'd like to know more about Jack History Month, please ask your teacher or visit your local library.

No comments: