Monday, March 30, 2009

Karma?

Like most guys I recognize and I'm disappointed to know that I can be pretty selfish, but I do believe that one good turn deserves another. My most recent pathetic example of altruism was displayed a couple of times last night. The first being my willingness to accompany Deb to see the iconic Morrissey at the House of Blues. Quite a sacrifice, huh? Even though the Jambalaya and bourbons were nice and the band was tight, I'm just not a big fan of his music, so this was labeled "a chore" in my book.

Like Deb hears similarities in most of Dave Matthews' songs, I hear no distinction in the whiny vocals of this legendary depression inspiring crooner. It was fun to see her singing, clapping, and shouting all while I swayed back and forth to the music surrounded by a fair representation of Boston's gay community. It was pretty cool to see the passion displayed by Morrissey's following. People pushed forward and crawled over one another risking life and limb to touch the man. I have to admit I was a bit stymied by the collective gasp and cheer when Morrissey pulled off his shirt and threw it into the audience. His bare torso was a fair comparison to that of a movie star. Remember E.T.?

When the show ended, we left the venue, got into our car and headed back home. We were traveling north on Route 1 and pulled into a brightly lit Hess Station to get some much needed unleaded. The quiet of the desolated filling station was disrupted by a large Dodge Caravan that pulled in on the opposite side of the pump I was using. A voice called out of the vehicle asking, "Excuse me sir, I'm hoping you can help me." He stated that he was out of work and was heading toward Augusta Maine where his mother in law was currently laid up in the hospital. He and his family were going to stay with her. Being a veteran of working in Boston I was cynical of his tale but reached into my pocket and gave him a five dollar bill. He thanked me and continued to tell me that he was a mechanic and could not find work. I peered over his shoulder and saw a few kids, and his wife sleeping in the vehicle along with a number of possessions packed in the back of the S.U.V. My heart sank. I reached back into my pocket and pulled out another bill, this time a twenty. I handed it to him and wished him luck. I got back in my car and told Deb what had transpired. She seemed surprised that I handed over that much cash, and her tone indicated that the man's tale was genuine. After thinking for a second, she said, "You're a good man, Jack." The truth of the matter is that we've both been in a situation where cash was tight, but nothing like what I believed he was facing. I regret not filling his tank. If I had caught him earlier in the night I would have tried to cheer him up by giving him a free Morrissey ticket.

This morning I headed out to work, but had to make a stop at town hall to register Deb's car. Like the other twenty or so idiots who waited till the end of the month, I waited in line for my turn to hand over more cash to Dover and New Hampshire. Live Free Or Die, but driving will cost you... As I got closer to the front of the line I became impatient and started to fill out the first of two checks I would have to write. The renewal form displayed one fee for the city and one for the state. I filled out the check for the $111 for the city then went to fill out $43.50 check for the state. When I flipped to the next check I my heart sank as I saw not a check, but the deposit slips that occupy the back of most check books. I looked up thinking, "Oh no" and saw the sign stating, "NO DEBIT OR CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED." I immediately searched my wallet for the $43.50, then my coat pockets, then my pants. How much did I find? $42.00.

Hope he made it to Augusta...

4 comments:

Patty Calabrese said...

I hear ya. I was traveling down a main road in Saugus when there was an elderly woman waving frantically as cars whizzed by her. Out of concern, I stopped only to have my car battered by her cane and her screaming at me as to why I was driving so fast. I started to think that she was just a crazy old lady but then her tone softened and she started to whimper..."the bus stopped too far from where I asked her to...I don't know where I am and I don't know how to get home! I'm partially blind and can't tell where I am! WHERE AM I?!?!" I try to diffuse the situation and calm her as cars are honking their horns at me and giving the Masshole finger as they drive by. I tell her the surrounding streets and she's still upset. She pleads with me, "Can't you just take me home??? I don't know where I am!! the storm is coming and I just want to go home!!" Reluctantly, I get her in my car as a police cruiser slows down and asks if all is okay...I explain the situation and he says "I guess you have it under control...okay...see ya!" I call him back and tell him I have no idea where this place she needs to get to is...he directs me in the most minimal directions possible and leaves me to figure it out on my own. I brought her home. She thanked me profusely as she got out of the car. I waited for her to get inside her building to make sure she is okay. I pat myself on the back for a good deed done and go on my way, taking in a deep breath as I depart. Not sure where this is going you ask? well, I can't remember where it was I was going to but I can tell you this...I drove to the nearest car wash instead because she left my car reaking of urine....luckily it was easy enough to clean. Just toss away my jacket that she happened to be sitting on spray heavily with sanitizer. I lost a favorite jacket to help the elderly.

Dad and Babchi said...

Gee Jackie and Patty sounds like you both did a good deed. I think you both should be rewarded. Hoe about two tickets to Morrissey!!

Jack Calabrese said...

Patty:

Reminds me of the time I was driving very early one morning with the kids. There was a woman who was walking with what appeared to be a heavy grocery bag. She looked like she was struggling a bit with it. I passed her, then "banged a U turn". The kids asked me what I was doing and I responded, "Sometimes you just have to do the right thing." I pulled up next to her and said, "Excuse me. I'm not a serial killer and you can see I have my kids in the car, can I give you life to where you are going?" She smiled, accepted, and got in the car. As we made small talk I caught a glimpse into her grocery bag. She was lugging a twelve pack of Millers and had a carton of cigarettes. The woman was bombed and wasn;t struggling with the bag, she was struggling with walking. I dropped her off, accepted her thanks and declined her invitation to come visit her later. I hate Miller beer.

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your jackieisms.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com